Sunday, October 20, 2013

Bistro Du Vin

Just a few weeks ago, G & I planned a nice dinner date together during Restaurant Week. We got reminded of the restaurant week quite late this time round, but thankfully, we secured a slot with Bistro Du Vin at Shaw Centre! *yay*

We don't eat out as often these days to well... save more money, so I haven't been checking out as many nice restaurants lately. I have soooo many I want to try now! I shall tick them off my list, slowly but surely! :D 

As usual, a serving of bread first :P


Followed by what seemed like really unique Entrees which we both love! We ordered everything on the menu to share & try because there's two different dishes for each course.

Foie Gras Ravioli with roasted hazelnut & port wine sauce - Personally love this best because it's foie gras! This is really good and I licked the plate clean!!



Stewed Escargots in Red Wine with Fried Egg & Bacon - A unique way of serving up escargots. Very nice as well! 




Pink Tiramisu sounds so good, but alas, we were too full from our three course dinner to fit in any more desserts!


Beef Short Ribs stewed in Beer sauce and served with Celeriac Mash - The rib, was hugeee. It was impressively huge, and the meat is really really soft & tender. It didn't taste like Celeriac at all! I thought it was potato mash but good all the same. Well done for the texture of the meat & letting everything on this dish compliment each other.


Fisherman Chowder - A huge variety of seafood included in this bowl. I took a sip of the soup and fell in love with it! Despite the various seafood that's in this dish, the soup didn't taste fishy at all. It was so good and heartwarming. Just like how Chicken soup always warms the soul. Besides the soup & the fresh seafood, this dish was just alright to me. Delicious and comforting, but not something that I would order out of a menu.


And the highly anticipated end to our dinner, DESSERTS! (:

Floating Island served with candied almond on vanilla sauce - One word: Sweet. Too sweet. I love the interesting texture of the dessert though. It tasted like foam, heh. I think (please excuse my poor baker's knowledge) that it's egg white & sugar beaten together? But I'm not sure how they got it to stand so firmly! Haha. It was nice for the first few mouthfuls but it's way too sweet to finish it up properly.




Baked Pear Tart served with Blue Cheese Ice-cream - Again, this was an interesting dessert and I love restaurants who innovate and play around with their offerings, rather to serve common desserts like Warm Chocolate Lava Cake. I would prefer if they try to reinvent it to become something else like, Earl Grey Lava Cake perhaps? I don't know, that's just me! (: The dessert didn't work, at all. The Blue Cheese tasted too salty. I know cheeses are supposed to be salty, but not in an ice-cream? It's probably supposed to balance the sweetness in a pear tart but... it's almost eating cheese & pear tart :/ 



Aww, I was so hopeful for the desserts following how the Entrees and Main courses were like, but they turned out a tad disappointing :(


I love the cozy ambience of the little French restaurant tucked away in a corner of Orchard. It felt like it brought me away to France just for that couple of hours with G. It was so lovely, and felt like I needed that "little" getaway after being stressed out with work just before dinner.

I can't wait for the next round of Restaurant Week next year! It's a great opportunity for people to go around trying out new restaurants. And of course, sneaking in opportunities for us to go on foodie adventures while dressing up for these fancier restaurants to go out on a date! Teehee.




No comments:

Post a Comment