Friday, June 1, 2012

New York City: Part Un

NEW YORK 2012

I was really anticipating my graduation trip to NYC with G! All the preparations, all the planning for our first overseas trip together. Of course, it also meant a lot to us because it'll just be us both trying to adapt to each other's habits, having to face each other from day to night :P It was such an amazing experience, and using the word 'amazing' doesn't quite cut it. 

I LOVE NYC, so much. I had bad withdrawal symptoms when I was back, well, at least for a week or so. Everything that reminded me of NYC, made my heart heavy. From dogs on the streets, to restaurant, to merchandise, etc. Goodness! I've never been so much in love with another place. I mean, I love HK as well (who doesn't love that place!!), but NYC completely swept me off my feet. There are the parts of NYC I didn't really fancy as well... haha, so just so you know, the love isn't all that rosy, it's just so enthralling to be in a place like that.  Too much commentary is going to be such a bore, so I'll reserve it for a few places that I'd really want to highlight!


Touchdown @ Narita Airport and the first things on our minds: SUSHI! :)




Afterwhich, we took a gruelling 14 hour flight to NYC which left us both stuck with only one question in the plane, "Are we there yet????"









This sums up day one in NYC! We touched down, walked from Grand Central to Port Authority (near Times Square), lugging 20kg of luggage EACH. We also walked around to Bryant Park, the Public Library, and went shopping at Lord & Taylor for a bit before we succumbed to our cold and weary bodies. It was insane. I don't know how much we walked, or how far we lugged everything, but when we finally got to our B&B in New Jersey, we concussed from 7pm - 9/10am. 



Day Two























































We met up with G's schoolmate, Charmaine, and her bf! Double date for brunch! We checked out Brindles, a little restaurant in East Village, well-known for its secret burger! The patty was really good! While the three of them had the special burger, I ordered the day's special, pork hash & poached eggs. Loved it! 

We did a little more walking (we did A LOT of walking in NYC actually), and went ahead to explore Willamsburg to check out the interesting nightlife and food places that everyone's talking about. Silly G & I went to a different part of Willamsburg, where there is a heavy concentration of Jews. It was realllyyyyyyy empty that day, completely different from Manhattan. We got bored just walking around neighbourhoods with nothing to pique our interest, so we went up to Greenpoint to check out a dinner place!

Chanced upon a French dining place, called Garmin. And since we do love French cuisine, we decided to settle for dinner. We ordered, a french onion soup, escargots (FAV), hanger steak and a lamb leg. Everything was good! Not over the top fantastic, but above average, good enough for me :) But because of the jetlag, I felt sooo sleepy during my meal and couldn't even finish the food! What a pity. G had to stomach most for me, and we quickly made our way back after the food coma settled in. For us both, the jet lag lasted for about 3 days, but thankfully, the fatigue settled down after a day or two. We mostly experienced this high, floaty feeling. Hahaha, not too sure why but it doesn't seem quite normal! I'm sure Willamsburg was more happening than what we saw that night, it's just a pity we didn't find the right places to go to!



To be continued...

No comments:

Post a Comment